Ecuador Adventure

...A personal adventure to meet the little boy I've been sponsoring in Ecuador for several years, that also turned into a mission trip to bring aid to women and children at El Inca women's prison in Ecuador's capital city of Quito! To those new to blogging, you need to scroll down to bottom to read the first entry (most recent entries are added to the top).

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Feeling better today...

Did not feel much like doing much of anything last night, as my heart was breaking. I still get tears in my eyes just thinking about it now. Dany and his family have become my extended family here in Ecuador, and I am left with an ache in my chest that will not go away. The tearful good-byes yesterday were very hard on all of us, and as Dany's mother started crying, I took her hand and started crying with her. Dany was crying, his baby sister was looking as if she was ready to burst into tears (probably more out of confusion about why everyone else was crying so!), and Dany's father was trying to hold it all together. We had Wendy (owner/employee?), who is American, available to translate for us, thank goodness, and we exchanged many good wishes, pleas to continue writing, promises that I would return to Ecuador again, and so on. I gave Dany my Chebeague Island ball cap, and he took it as if it were a treasure. Dany's mother gave me more handwoven items for my family, 4 hats! As she pulled each from her bag, she named who they were for. The warmth and generosity of Dany's family humbled me, and I vowed in my heart never to forget them and the lessons they taught me about giving from the heart.

I must change the subject here, as I'm crying and sniffling at the internet cafe, dabbing my eyes and blowing my nose!

On a lighter note, I'm really in my element at the Otavalo markets! I'd read plenty before coming here, about not paying asking price for ANYthing, and that the vendors expect you to haggle. If you don't, you're pegged right away as a foolish American! Well, the only thing I paid asking price for was a hundred or so Peruvian beads I bought in one store, at such a ridiculously low price that I was too much in shock to haggle. But I may go back and get some more and be ready for a better bargain! Those beads are the same I paid an arm and a leg for on ebay (hear me thinking "resale" here?). Among all the other little treasures I picked up (some, I admit, as impulse buys that will probably end up on ebay), I'd been especially coveting a beautiful poncho that I was seeing at many different stands. It's a traditional style, off-white (natural), with darker stripes and a hood. So I started checking prices at all the different stands to see what the going rate was, and how low they would come. Most, when asked, "Quanto?" answered anywhere from $12 to $20. OK, I had a good idea. When I said, "Gracias, no!" and started walking away, they all of course jumped forward and said (in Spanish), "You say, how much?" Sometimes I'd come back with another number just to see, and other times I'd indicate maybe "manana." Anyway, I waited till almost the end of the day yesterday, found a vendor that was packing up and pointed to the poncho, "Quanto?" He answered $16. "No, no, gracious!" (turning to walk away). "Senora, senora! Quanto usted?" Thoughfully, I offered him $10. He pretended to not be willing to go that low, but suggested $12. I just shook my head and turned to leave, "No, gracias" He stopped me again and say he'd take $10. I smiled, and we had a bargain! I gave him $10 and walked away with my coveted poncho!

I could grow to LOVE this place!!!

Today I might walk to the Cascada de Peguche (Peguche Falls), where I went with Dany's family the other day. It's such a beautiful place, and I'd like to spend more time there, photographing and videotaping, and just soothing my broken heart! It's probably about a 40-minute walk or so, but this is my last day in the area. No sense moping in my room.

This is the first morning that I didn't wake up with a headache, as I've been doing since arriving in Ecuador. I've been making aspirin a regular part of my diet -- that and plenty of fluids -- to combat the effects of going to such a high altitude. I must finally be acclimating. Nothing I can do for the puffy eyes, though a hot shower this morning helped me feel more "alive!"

Tonight is my last night in Otavalo, then I will take a taxi to Cayambe in the morning, to stay at the Hacienda Guachala. It is secluded and quiet, up on an extinct volcano, and will be a restful place to sort of decompress after this emotion-packed visit to Otavalo. Yet, I'm a bit sad to be leaving -- enjoying walking the streets and exploring, though wishing I had someone along to share it with.

Will close for now, and write again either tonight or tomorrow morning.

Much love to all! XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home