Ecuador Adventure

...A personal adventure to meet the little boy I've been sponsoring in Ecuador for several years, that also turned into a mission trip to bring aid to women and children at El Inca women's prison in Ecuador's capital city of Quito! To those new to blogging, you need to scroll down to bottom to read the first entry (most recent entries are added to the top).

Sunday, October 23, 2005

Last night in Otavalo...

I just spent the last hour wandering the streets of Otavalo... no more shopping, as all my shopping funds are spent! But my bag's packed back at my room with all my "treasures" and I'll be checking out of the Hostal Dona Esther by noon tomorrow. On to Cayambe and a night at the Hacienda Guachala... and perhaps some horseback riding if I'm in the mood.

I'd hoped to walk to Peguche today, via the railroad tracks (it's the most direct and popular hiking route), but the weather today's been a bit cool. Also, it's been raining off-and-on all day, so I decided not to do it. I'm still hoping to go, but if I do it would have to be bright and early tomorrow morning, to give myself the time I'd like to do some intense photography.

Today, instead of going to Peguche, I spent several hours hitting the markets again! :) I did get some pictures and video from the 2nd story terrace of an eatery called Tabasco's, which overlooks Poncho Plaza, while enjoying my lunch. I had a very large bean burrito (complete with lettuce, tomatoes, onions... and of course Tabasco sauce!), and a cup of good, strong, thick coffee (with slightly curdled cream) for only $3. It was delicious.

With being so exhausted all the time from my whirlwind/emotional days, I really haven't done much actual photography before today -- only "snapshots" of my time with Dany, etc. If I had someone with me, I might be doing more. But I'm not real comfortable about walking about the town alone while flashing my expensive camera around. I may as well wear a sign that says, "ROB ME!" Maybe I'm not being fair about that, but I've heard enough warnings from advance research on the internet about such things. I probably wouldn't have any trouble, but why open myself up to the possibility? (Did I write about this already, or was it something I wrote in my personal journal? If I'm repeating myself, please forgive me!)

Some of you may be glad to hear I gave up the planned trip to Riobamba to ride the train to la Nariz del Diable (Devil's Nose). It seemed like just too risky a schedule, as far as getting back safely to Quito before dark, to catch my plane the next morning. So I'll instead be staying in Quito for 2 nights after Cayambe. On Tue., I'll be visiting the prison with Joan to bring the children's donations, and on Wed., I'll go with her again for the women's Bible Study.

Gotta run for now. Lots of love to all from Ecuador!