Ecuador Adventure

...A personal adventure to meet the little boy I've been sponsoring in Ecuador for several years, that also turned into a mission trip to bring aid to women and children at El Inca women's prison in Ecuador's capital city of Quito! To those new to blogging, you need to scroll down to bottom to read the first entry (most recent entries are added to the top).

Monday, October 24, 2005

Last hike around the city...

Hola! I just hiked almost from one end of Otavalo to the other, including a short stretch along the Panamerican Highway... Should have done that sooner, as I'm really getting to know my way around this town, and finding lots of interesting places I'd like to check out if I had more time! But instead I need to start thinking about heading back to my hostal and getting a taxi to Cayambe.

One last thing... Just have to mention the grossest thing I saw while here in Otavalo. No, not roasted cuy (guinea pig, a delicacy here). I came walking up behind one woman yesterday who was carrying a white 5-gal. bucket, and I glanced into it as I passed her. I had to do a double-take and curb my repulsion! The bucket was more than half-full of some kind of live beetle -- like a 1-1/2-inch long, big, fat June bug or something -- all of them wiggling and writhing in the bucket! I don't even want to think about what their purpose in life might be for that woman!

[Later Note: I've since stumbled across information that may explain this bucket of beetles! There is a beetle called the Cochineal, that some of the local weavers use as a raw material for dying their wool yarns. I'm thinking this may be what these beetles were destined for. 02-18-06]

OK, that's it for entries from this town... Onward to Cayambe, to the Hacienda Guachala! Adios!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home