Ecuador Adventure

...A personal adventure to meet the little boy I've been sponsoring in Ecuador for several years, that also turned into a mission trip to bring aid to women and children at El Inca women's prison in Ecuador's capital city of Quito! To those new to blogging, you need to scroll down to bottom to read the first entry (most recent entries are added to the top).

Monday, October 24, 2005

Not quite my last post from Otavalo...

I'm feeling better today. Still a bit sad, though ... finding myself rushing to my balcony everytime I hear a mother and child's voice on the street below -- which is too often! I will sure miss my new Ecuadorian family.

I was going to try to hike to Cascada de Peguche this morning, and was even up, showered and dressed by 6:30. But I just couldn't work up the enthusiasm. It's very chilly out, but that's not a good excuse (I've got warm clothes). I guess I'm just feeling sort of melancholy about leaving. A whole group of children are walking by the door now, on their way to school, and I just had to stop and watch them... all those long braids on the little boys -- just like Dany. The memories keep tugging at my heartstrings.

I take my pictures out of my wallet and look at all my loved ones back home, and it always makes me smile. No tears, though, as I know I'll be seeing them all again soon.

On another note, it sure is easy to pick up Spanish when you're immersed in it. I actually found myself dreaming in Spanish ... I think it was just last night? Wierd, huh? I'm finding it easier to communicate when I pop in and out of shops for food, sometimes conversing (just the basics, mind you!) well enough that they don't realize I'm not getting half of what they're saying, but catching enough of their side of the conversation to give the correct responses. It's a mini-high to leave the shop without feeling like a total idiot!

The photo to the right shows last night's purchases before returning to my room. I stopped in at a small bakery-type shop facing the park , a half-block from my hostal, and bought these three small breads, large cookie, and 12-oz. package of cheese (a salty, mild cheese, with a consistency somewhere between mozarella and tofu!) ... all for under $2.00. I just had to take a picture of them when I got back to my room -- the prices here are SO easy to live with!
You know, you can rent a place for about $90 a month down here... I'm thinking way cool summer vacation!


As I mentioned previously, I'm on my way to Cayambe today. The taxi driver will be picking me up at the Dona Esther at about noon.

1 Comments:

Blogger darylann said...

hi mom I just got back from returning all of my football equipment. Today i got a 92% on my math test which brought me up from a D- to a C. Also pop won himself a free coffe mug from the cridet union. Yesterday cindy brougt lazzania over for supper which was nice (and very good):). Ohh i almost forgot to tell you that basketball starts on the 14th of november. Well I dont know what else to write. Nothing realy special happened Exept the weather being in the 40s which i dont like.:( Well I'm gonna have to go and take my shower but I'll write tommorow. Bye for today and hope to see you soon.

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home